Sunday, September 15, 2013

Prompt 5



Corey Hostetler
AP English Language
Mrs. Wagener
September 15, 2013
Where Do I Reside on the Rabbit's Fur?
            Throughout the book Sophie's World, various philosophers had their thoughts and beliefs deeply analyzed.  Though the philosophers spoken of in this book were only a sliver of the entire metaphorical pie, my favorite philosopher was probably Socrates.  I liked that Socrates wouldn't tell people the philosophical idea straight off, but would instead guide them to the idea through asking miscellaneous questions.  I also admired that he was humble enough to admit that he didn't know everything that there was to know.  Lastly, I respected that he would stand behind his ideas even if it meant his death.
            Though there were many philosophers that I appreciated, there were also a few that I was dismayed with.  I was rather disturbed with Aristotle's ideas about women.  Aristotle thought that women were unfinished men and that women were not involved in the reproduction process.  No matter how blatantly incorrect these two things were, I can't seem to come to the conclusion that Aristotle was a "bad" person.  This is because Aristotle was present long ago when the mistreatment of women was common in society. 
            When I first started reading this book, I believe that I was probably in the middle of the rabbits fur.  I was in the middle because I would only ever ask questions about things that I was interested in and would never leave that comfort zone.  After reading the book, I can firmly say that I am slowly, but surely, moving up every day.  One day, because of being introduced to philosophical thinking in Sophie's World, I hope to be at the top of the rabbits fur.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Blog responses, Corey! You did an outstanding job discussing insightful connections you made to the text. 20/20

    ReplyDelete